nyasuu

immersion o_o

People still have to do things in real life, we gotta remember at the end of the day it's still a game and it's hard to not mention things like "in my head" or "spiritually" because we all have things we have to do like eat, use the restroom, take phone calls, etc. 

@Ronnie Smith I get what you’re saying but it’s still a realism server, and saying stuff like that kills the immersion. There’s soo many different better ways to say things than to say “I’m spiritually eating food.” If your eating you could legit just RP that out and say “so I went to a restaurant and grabbed a burger that I’m eating right now.” Or even with stuff like “Im spiritually going to visit Florida.” You could just bring that into RP and say “I’m going to visit Florida soon.” Which doesn’t kill any immersion at all.

If you would need to go afk or something you could just say, “I’m going to think here for a second.” Or “I’m going to day dream for a sec.” instead of things like “I’m in my head.” Another thing if like your game crashes instead of saying “my head popped.” You could just say “he ran home.”

Overall I do agree with Paris, small things like this kill the immersion and i think RP in general could be much better if these certain words were taken out. 

• I Like it! 3

In my opinion i don't have a problem with people saying "i need to go into my head" or "i need to be with my thoughts" because it is away to say you are going AFK in character. What i think needs to be changed is people talking OOC in the sense of saying "i do this or that spiritually"and having full on conversations IC that are OOC lol It doesn't bother me so much with the sayings "going in my head" or "going to be with my thoughts" cause even the biggest WLO servers use that as lingo for going AFK or walking away for a second. I do agree people could RP things out alot better saying what they are going to do something by simply doing something in character. "i have to go run a quick errand, i'll meet back up with you guys" go AFK. "Just had some food delivered at my house, i need to go home and eat" Go home, eat, AFK. I hear constantly people talk about doing stuff "spiritually" or doing something in that moment "spiritually" when they can just use terms that fit better for the IC setting. Comes to a point where Staff would have to enforce the way people lingo things. 

• I Like it! 4

in my opinion, this is a thing that would require somebody doing/saying these things around other people, those people would then learn to say that because that's what they hear, etc etc

In my opinion, like mikey I dont have an issue with "need to go into my head for a second" or "I need to go do x, y, z spiritually" however it does become an issue when people have full out 'spiritual convorsations' which doesnt make sense. at that point, "I need to go in my head for a minute" then call/text on discord or something like that

Overall it doesnt affect me personally, people are going to do it either way, and I feel like it would be, for a lack of better terms, too much for staff, we cant expect them to sit in on every convorsation they can just to see if someone says "spiritually" or "my head"

• I Like it! 1

I agree strongly with nyasuu's suggestion, personally I don't see why people do it, it is undeniably out of character to say you must "spiritually get something to eat" as nyasuu stated, you can use this in character easily, just go AFK in a 24/7, the burger shot, or even the VU, to eat. In all of my time on the server I've always tried to do this, if i need to do anything OOC and away from the PC it's not hard to treat it as an in character matter that you need to step away for a moment, and I see more and more people speaking "spiritually" just because they hear other people say it, and because it's "easy" to do that instead of providing better roleplay. As Ronnie and Brice were saying, there are things we must do at the end of the day, there are necessary real life things to step away and handle, but it takes little effort to go AFK for "a smoke" or "taking a phone call" literally anything.

It would be a massive help the community's comprehension of REALISTIC ROLEPLAY if we considered "spiritual" speaking an out of character rulebreak. I don't foresee this being a bannable rulebreak, but it is, as I said, undeniably out of character and immersion breaking. Furthermore, one doesn't need to state "I need to take out my dog spiritually" or "oh the spiritual door dash guy is here ill brb" you can just say "Hey I need a smoke" or "I need a moment to think" going "in your head" isn't as huge to me, but this "spiritual" conversation could really benefit the community if stopped.

On an unrelated note, I notice a lot of criminal characters telling the police that they have "win mentality" this has ruined many, many, many of my interactions with both police, and criminals. It's understandable coming from the criminals if they see a police officer treating the roleplay scenario like a team-death-match, but there is so much more to the RP than winning and losing. I would suggest saying things like "win mentality" be regarded as an OOC rulebreak, seeing as not a soul in the world has told a cop that they have "win mentality" it makes absolutely no sense in character and if it is that big of an issue it can be handled through in character means, such as getting a lawyer if the police used excessive force, or even OOC routes if the police character player makes  a rulebreak.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk. 

• I Like it! 3

it would be a big rule for staff to keep up with, but maybe if it's an official thing it would be more of a community upheld thing, staff only stepping in for people who don't take hints from other normaql people

• I Like it! 3

This type of stuff is what I personally call loophole lingo.  A way to speak OOC to avoid getting in trouble for it.  Similar to saying someone is going to take a 'vacation'  or someone was 'deported'  it's all of the same type of talking.  Needing to afk to take a phone call, or use the restroom, or grab food, can easily be done without saying 'I'll be in my head'  You could literally just say 'I need to take a private call I'll be over here.'  Run off alone, hit F1 and just stare at your phone.  Usually when I come back from AFK and I notice someone is talking to me I apologize for unintentionally ignoring them and say something along the lines of "I was spaced out day dreaming."  A lot of this though is limited to the individuals own willingness and or ability to be creative with their own RP.   

It does kind of mess me up a bit when I'm RPing and then someone breaks character to tell me 'Oh yeah spiritually I live in so and so'  or  'I'm going to speak with gods'  etc. along with very loud disruptive gatherings in an inappropriate area that kills a good RP moment for others and/or destroys immersion.

• I Like it! 1

I personally use alot ''Meditating'' or ''in my thoughts'' for saying i need to be AFK instead of ''in my head''. i try the least to use OOC terms the least, if in vehicles i say ''on the dashboard''

I personally hate all borderline OOC terms such as "spiritually" and etc as seen above.  Which is why you will never and have never heard me say anything like that. Same thing applies to "My head exploded" simply say "I had to go home and do xxxxxx quick".   If I had to go AFK I simply make up an excuse on why I have to be on my phone, or something similar.  I don't think it will be something that will be implemented in the rules, which will also mean as staff we won't punish people for it.  However if the community corrects people using these words or behaviors, it will quickly go away.

TLDR This one is a community fix, not a staff fix.  Help correct people and give them examples of what to say, instead of yelling at them or being rude about it.

• I Like it! 1
  • That's funny! 1

Like Mikey said, I don't mind people saying "in my head for a sec", but that should be where it ends.  We shouldn't be hearing about IRL life stories as long as they start out with "spiritually ...."

It takes some discipline and practice to really stay in character when it comes to going "AFK" but it can be done. Get creative.

• I Like it! 1

Going AFK and staying IC is easy as hell. I just tell people I am replying to a message and need to think or just find a nice view and tell them I am going to take in the surroundings and just have a moment to myself.

• I Like it! 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.