Molly

Sharing Hunting Kills

Posted (edited)

We need some clarity on hunting with others. Some admins have told me it is okay to share meat, and some have told me it's not. What is it? We need an official, public answer. I was told that the reason the hunting animation time was increased to 45 seconds was specifically so that people could share the meat without it becoming overtuned.

Regardless, it should be okay to share meat with others. Hunting is a fun group activity, both in the server and in real life. A big part of the enjoyment of hunting is doing it with other people. And in real life, people SHARE the contents of the hunt. There is no reason that each kill should belong to only one person if a group is doing it. It's not realistic, and it's not fun. If you want to say it's powergaming, I disagree. It's powergaming if people aren't actively hunting and just taking the contents, sure. But everyone who is shooting the animals and is hunting actively should be able to get a cut. So why not just make it so that everyone has to be participating in the hunting in order to get the contents? That's the most fun and most realistic way to go about this.

If for some reason you guys still decide to not allow people to share the meat, then please decrease the hunting animation time. 

Any comments on this would be appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by Molly
  • I Like it! 3

Posted (edited)

100% agree. Should add hunting knifes to at least increase speed. Deer irl provide about 85 pounds of boneless meat as well.

If at all increase the prices. Hunting is the only legal job that has decent pay. If it starts to suck even more then why even do legal things outside of real estate and starting a business which most people cant do.

Help us hunters out I would love to go 100% legal instead of spending all of my rp time grinding for small amounts of cash decreasing mine and others rp.

Edited by Tora Uzu
Site bugged out
  • I Like it! 3

I honestly agree with everything Molly said. She pretty much explains why it is absurd to just rationalize one deer to one person. It is not realistic. Molly also mentions “fun” in her argument, and let us be honest with ourselves, is not the whole point of the server to have fun with other people and not just by yourself? It is just pathetic to think how it is power-gaming when it makes a 100% sense to share a deer, even in real life.

I really think hunting is an opportunity for everyone to have fun and make good enough money from a legal job. I understand why it can look like power-gaming and also that the admins are just trying their best. Although it needs to be considered that it makes no sense.

At the end, rationalizing one deer to one person is not realistic since a deer gives way too much meat for everyone in real, it is not fun because no one likes to look at someones face while they are skinning for meat and fun, and lastly it is frustrating.

Thank you

Misty

• I Like it! 3

Another thing I would like to note about this thread is if you aren't allowed to skin together then people are starting to steal deer -_-

Which admins said its okay? I've personally never heard them same it since some have told me it was not okay. I think the script was changed to take more time skinning the animals/getting meat in order to reduce the massive $$ being made by each person, since people were making 100k's from hunting all day.  The admins don't want the players to only focus on making money-which is part of the reason of our server wipe last year.

I agree it's a fun group activity.  But I think the point devs slowing the timers would make multiple people skinning an animal, pointless. They probably slowed the timer for that reason. I'd also like to know whether it's okay or not if an admin could reply?

Like said here just above, the timer increase was not because of multiple people skinning one animal. it was because of the massive amount of money coming into the game with people focusing on making money instead of the initial RP. Hunting is a great addition to RP but you dont have to be all on one animal to get the great RP.

The way hunting is right now it is Powergaming being multiple people on 1 animal. if you would want it realistic then it needs to be programmed so it detects hows many people are on the animal. because then it could split the meat into X many parts instead as it is now you all get huge amounts of meat / fur. i understand what you mean it is realistic still with multiple people on it, but thats not the arguement, with how the game mechanic, how the script is written it is not made to have multiple people on 1 animal. 

Rule 6: Powergaming

Our definition of power-gaming is the abuse of in-game mechanics to give you an unrealistic advantage that benefits the player(s).

The only way to elimate this factor is like  i said, change the script so it detects how many people are on each animal, and it would be split X between each person.

• I Like it! 1

Why not restrict it to 2-3 people instead of 1? That is realistic. I don't think it's powergaming to do hunting the way it is intended. Also, who gets an animal if multiple people shoot the animal? There are too many instances where restricting it causes problems and frustration, on top of it just being outright unfun. People want to hunt with their friends and that should be not only allowed but encouraged. Forcing everyone to find separate hunting places actually causes LESS RP and player interaction. Hunting is one of the most fun things to do with people and I don't want that to be ruined. I know many people want hunting to remain as something you can do with friends as well.

Like with many other things in our server, sometimes realism is lessened to care more about to balance of roleplay. This just happens to be one of them. 

Id agree with your statement more I didn’t see people camping at animal spawns (they’re clearly doing it for money) or when we tell people not to skin the same animal, they do it infront of us anyway... 

17 minutes ago, GoddessNextDoor said:

Like with many other things in our server, sometimes realism is lessened to care more about to balance of roleplay. This just happens to be one of them. 

Id agree with your statement more I didn’t see people camping at animal spawns (they’re clearly doing it for money) or when we tell people not to skin the same animal, they do it infront of us anyway... 

I agree that there should be some restriction put on it, but I think there can be a compromise that we can come to without killing group hunting entirely. I'm all for ideas like limiting it to 2-3 people who are actively hunting in an area, or reducing the rewards when multiple people gather from an animal, or something along those lines. I just want to be able to hunt with my friends and have fun without having to fight over who gets what, and there are a lot of honest people who want the same. I think that's fair.

There’s nothing saying people can’t hunt in groups they just need to get their own kills.  If you aren’t having fun without taking the same animals skin or meat then it looks like you just want the money more than the group activity portion of it. 

3 minutes ago, GoddessNextDoor said:

There’s nothing saying people can’t hunt in groups they just need to get their own kills.  If you aren’t having fun without taking the same animals skin or meat then it looks like you just want the money more than the group activity portion of it. 

Kind of a rude assumption but okay. I want to be able to share MY kills with other people, because that's how I'd do it in real life as well.

• I Like it! 1

If you’re getting defensive over a rule and don’t want to listen to it then oh well but don’t expect staff not to warn or ban you if they see you doing it. There’s a lot of things we should be able to do in this city but can’t since we deem it as power for the sake of RP. 

2 minutes ago, GoddessNextDoor said:

If you’re getting defensive over a rule and don’t want to listen to it then oh well but don’t expect staff not to warn or ban you if they see you doing it. There’s a lot of things we should be able to do in this city but can’t since we deem it as power for the sake of RP. 

I'm abiding by it but trying to get it changed. It's not even a stated rule yet so they should get on that if they are going to enforce it. 

You will see a lotttttt of rules pop up like this as new things come into the city that’s why I’m just suggesting to you go follow whats in place now and explaining why it was changed. They overrule realism for rp purposes. 

All right, thank you for the heads up. I've only been in the city for about a month so this is the first like big change that I've seen. Appreciate it!

• I Love it! 1

If we made a list of rules specifically tailored to every single mechanic in the server, it would be so long that no one in their right minds would read it.  So we provide examples of rules, and include our definition of the rule to help guide the player to understanding what is allowed and what is not.

Multiple people skinning the same animal is classified under "POWERGAMING" as it is an abuse of an in game mechanic, as our rule clearly states.  To my knowledge, no staff members have ever said that it was okay for multiple people to skin one animal, and if someone is telling you that they did they're likely not being honest.  We were very clear when talking about this issue that we are NOT okay with multiple people skinning the same animal, and have made that known.  It may not specifically say in the rules "Multiple people skinning one animal is powergaming" but the definition of powergaming covers that for us.  We as staff interpret the rules and adjusted them as needed with new releases, such as hunting and the burgershot.  Just as we class camping animal spawns as "POWERGAMING" because you know the animal will spawn there, you are abusing a game mechanic for your benefit.

If I need to clarify anything please let me know

- Sandoril

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sandoril said:

If we made a list of rules specifically tailored to every single mechanic in the server, it would be so long that no one in their right minds would read it.  So we provide examples of rules, and include our definition of the rule to help guide the player to understanding what is allowed and what is not.

Multiple people skinning the same animal is classified under "POWERGAMING" as it is an abuse of an in game mechanic, as our rule clearly states.  To my knowledge, no staff members have ever said that it was okay for multiple people to skin one animal, and if someone is telling you that they did they're likely not being honest.  We were very clear when talking about this issue that we are NOT okay with multiple people skinning the same animal, and have made that known.  It may not specifically say in the rules "Multiple people skinning one animal is powergaming" but the definition of powergaming covers that for us.  We as staff interpret the rules and adjusted them as needed with new releases, such as hunting and the burgershot.  Just as we class camping animal spawns as "POWERGAMING" because you know the animal will spawn there, you are abusing a game mechanic for your benefit.

If I need to clarify anything please let me know

- Sandoril

Thank you for the reply. I understand the reasoning. I hope that we can maybe get a system change that rewards both solo and group hunting while making them both equally fair in the future. Thank you for the clarification :)

Edited by Molly

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, GoddessNextDoor said:

Which admins said its okay? I've personally never heard them same it since some have told me it was not okay. I think the script was changed to take more time skinning the animals/getting meat in order to reduce the massive $$ being made by each person, since people were making 100k's from hunting all day.  The admins don't want the players to only focus on making money-which is part of the reason of our server wipe last year.

Well to be fair I spend so much time grinding that I miss all my RP because everything pays small amounts. I can either grind hunting one time a day for a nice chunk of change and then go and rp or I can grind weed, meth, sand, or something else all day for what I would make in the two hours I hunted which I would then miss all of the rp I could have had. Every person that I know who has left the city has left simply because the grind sucks for what you get payed. Its either grind, commit a crime, or just stand around and do nothing when you have no money.

7 hours ago, Kokopoo said:

Like said here just above, the timer increase was not because of multiple people skinning one animal. it was because of the massive amount of money coming into the game with people focusing on making money instead of the initial RP. Hunting is a great addition to RP but you dont have to be all on one animal to get the great RP.

The way hunting is right now it is Powergaming being multiple people on 1 animal. if you would want it realistic then it needs to be programmed so it detects hows many people are on the animal. because then it could split the meat into X many parts instead as it is now you all get huge amounts of meat / fur. i understand what you mean it is realistic still with multiple people on it, but thats not the arguement, with how the game mechanic, how the script is written it is not made to have multiple people on 1 animal. 

The only way to elimate this factor is like  i said, change the script so it detects how many people are on each animal, and it would be split X between each person.

And on this.....

Really.....

If you want hunting to be realistic you dont give 1-5 steaks for a deer. WHEN THERE IS 85 POUNDS OF BONELESS MEAT ON A DEER. Which in turn is 17 steaks. So either reduce the time, increase the prices, or give us more meat. That would solve people trying to do it together. Three people skinning the same deer still does not provide 17 steaks so its unrealistic in that sense because the city doesn't even give enough.

If you wanna edit the script you literally just check for the animal type or give an "if" statement to decide if you want people hunting together or to provide more or less meat.

I feel the point of the city is to keep the rich rich and the poor stuck grinding for months until we can RP without feeling like we are slaving away in game like most people already do IRL

But like usual just gonna have to tough it out cuz its not changing and I am done huntin lol damn pounders take too long

Edited by Tora Uzu
  • I Like it! 1

Can’t relate I guess. I’m here for the RP with the little money I do make and without it. 

Staff will enforce this as powergaming, if you decide to skin as a group on the same animal consequences will be dealt out